I LOVE EGGPLANT! I feel like love is not even a strong enough word. Maybe a deep fondness. No, an infatuation. A childhood attachment. I don’t know…none of those seem to describe it.
To be honest, I do not know if I have always felt this way. As I got older and “forced” myself to eat them to test out the pregnancy/labor myths, I found a love in the texture and taste. We really do not cook with them as much as I would like because the kids do not share my feelings about eggplants (hence the two stack cooking), but sometimes it’s simply worth cooking separate meals to enjoy what makes my heart happy.
Eggplant Parmigiana Stacks
- 2 eggplants cut into 1/2″ slices
- 2 cups part-skim mozzarella shredded
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 1/2 cup parmesan grated
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Season the eggplant with salt and place on the tray in a single layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Mix the crushed tomatoes and spices in a small bowl.
- Prepare a baking dish with crushed tomato on the bottom.
- Layer an eggplant slice, mozzarella, crushed tomatoes, and parmesan. Repeat once more.
- Top with the tomatoes and a sprinkle of parmesan.
- Arrange the broccoli around the stacks.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden.