With clean eating, I struggle with not having something sweet. I always thought that there was simply something wrong with me like my need for sweets was an obstacle or part of emotional bad eating behavior. I just don’t think that’s the case anymore though. I’m human and I like salty & chocolaty sweet (not fruit sweet). Now instead of fighting my urges, I am finding ways to work with myself.
At first, this recipe had me a little nervous. “Cannoli” is a high bar to reach. I mean I am from New Jersey and grew up in an Italian household. These are delicacies. They are not to be changed or tainted. They are to be savored and desired. But these… after refrigerating… these were dang near close to them. I actually cannot keep these in the house because I cannot keep myself out of the refrigerator. I’m like that YouTube video of the woman left home alone with a cake that keeps running back for one more forkful.
Cannoli Protein Squares
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 2 tbsp MCT oil
- 1/8 cup organic maple syrup
- 1/2 scoops whey protein
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp sugar or 2 ml of Stevia drops
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate mini chips
- Preheat the oven to 375F and line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix almond meal, MCT oil, 2 Tbsp of whey protein, and maple syrup with a fork.
- Place in the baking dish evenly and bake for 8 minutes. Cool the crust afterward.
- In a bowl, mix the remaining whey protein, ricotta cheese, vanilla extract, and sugar (or stevia).
- Spread the mixture on the cooled crust & top with dark chocolate chips.
- Freeze for 2 hours. Cut & store.
All I can say…enjoy! And make sure you have others around so you can resist eating it all yourself LOL!